An easy, no-fuss banana cake recipe with a delicious result. Dairy free, egg free – vegan! It’s fluffy and light, yet also sticky and moist from the brown sugar and ripe banana. We’ve tried lots of recipes, and this one beats them all!
All that’s required is measuring out and mixing of only eight ingredients, so it’s perfect to make with children.
We recommend using really ripe bananas for the best result.
Egg replacers can be found in most good specialty food shops, or you can make flax ‘egg’. To make a flax egg, mix one tablespoon ground flaxseed meal with three tablespoons of water. Mix together, and let sit in your fridge for 15 minutes to set up and thicken. It’s that easy. You could leave it up to 30 minutes if you want.
If you prefer to use eggs, add another 15 or so minutes to the cooking time.
- 3-4 bananas, mashed
- 2 replacement eggs
- 415g self raising flour (if using plain flour, add one teaspoon of baking soda)
- 355g sugar (half white sugar, half soft brown sugar)
- 120ml vegetable oil
- 60ml plant milk (we recommend cashew milk but any plant based milk will work)
- Teaspoon of vanilla essence
- 60-120g walnuts (optional – great for added texture)
- Combine the oil, eggs, sugar, milk, vanilla, and mashed bananas.
- Fold in the flour.
- Pour into a greased round cake tin and bake in a preheated 140C oven for 40 mins (if cooking with eggs you may need to leave the cake in for longer).
- Leave to cool before taking out of the tin.
Slice into chunks and enjoy!
Did you like this banana cake recipe? If you haven’t already, try making our vegan chocolate chip cookies – they’re so good! We’ve also created a seven day recipe challenge if you’re looking for more sweet and savoury ideas.